Look at this amazing picture! Obviously, I didn’t take it–my amazing partner Jeffy did. These buffalo sliders were a little bit of improvisational fun before a Dungeons and Dragons session with my ladies’ D&D group. The tofu ends up crispy and well seasoned, pairing delightfully with the bleu cheese slaw on top. Yum!
You could totally shake up this recipe by baking your tofu, marinating it, or going a little more crazy with the hot sauce. Since I wanted to keep things fairly quick and simple, I opted for something a bit more tame, but the sky’s the limit!
I included pressing the tofu in the prep time because it drives me NUTS when a recipe says it only takes 10 minutes to prep but the ingredients say “1 package tofu drained and pressed” like somehow pressing it isn’t involved in the making of the recipe at all. Definitely not a fun surprise to come across during a last minute meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- Package of 8 slider buns, of your preference (I grab wheat rolls from our grocery’s bakery and slice them in half)
- 1 15oz package extra firm tofu, drained
- 2-3 tbs high smoking point cooking oil, for frying
For the slaw:
- small wedge purple cabbage (enough for about 1/2 cup shredded)
- 1 medium whole carrot
- 1 green apple
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart bleu cheese dressing, or more as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
For the tofu:
- 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the buffalo sauce:
- 4 tbs Frank’s Red Hot original
- 2 tbs Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks, melted
- Kick things off by pressing the tofu. In the old days before my tofu press, I wrapped the tofu in a rag and sat it between two plates with something heavy on top. These days, I press it using my tofu press’s instructions for about 20 minutes.
- While the tofu is pressing, shred the cabbage, carrot, apple, and celery in a food processor. Transfer the shredded veggies to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the vinegar, bleu cheese dressing, salt, and pepper to the slaw, and stir until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Combine the corn starch or arrowroot with all the spices in a shallow plate until well mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the Frank’s and melted Earth Balance together to make your buffalo sauce.
- Once the tofu is done pressing, stand the block up on its end and slice it in half into two thin slabs. Cut each slab into four equal pieces to make your sandwich patties. Dip each side of the tofu square in the corn starch mixture so that it’s coated nicely in starch and spices.
- Preheat a large, heavy-bottom skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat with the 2-3 tbs of oil. To test the oil is ready, sprinkle a pinch of your cornstarch mixture into the pan and look for a nice sizzle with no smoking.
- Once the oil is ready, lay your tofu squares in the oil and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning only once. You should end up with tofu blocks that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- After the tofu is done frying, remove from the heat. Toss each piece lightly in the buffalo sauce, careful not to break apart the tofu. Place the tofu block on your slider, top with slaw, and you’re all done.